Skip to main content

What will happen to me at the colposcopy clinic?

You will be examined by a nurse or doctor called a colposcopist. They use a colposcope,  which looks like a pair of binoculars on a stand, to look for cell changes. Having a colposcopy is a lot like having a cervical screening (smear) test. If the colposcopist sees any cell changes they may take a biopsy (small pinch of skin). Sometimes you will be offered treatment at your first visit.

For more information please visit our Colposcopy and Treatment page.